Correlation Between Body Image and Sleep Quality in Patients with Congestive Heart Failure in the Sari City, North of Iran
AbstractBackground: The present study was conducted aimed to determine the relationship between body shape and sleep quality in patients with congestive heart failure.Materials and Methods: In this descriptive-correlation study which was conducted in 2015, 290 patients with congestive heart failure were recruited using the simple random sampling method. Data were collected through the demographic information form (including age, sex, marital status, economic level and education), medical (age, sex, adequacy of economic level, education, history of hypertension and drug use, family history of heart disease and depression in the family, activity and history of special disease), Body Shape Questionnaire (BSQ-34) and Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI). SPSS 20.0 (SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA) were utilized for data analysis with descriptive and inferential statistics tests (Generalized Linear models with bonferroni correction).Results: Based on results only 48 patients with 4.31 (SD: 0.94; 95%CI: 4.03-4.58) mean score of Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index had a good levels of sleep quality. The mean score of the Body Shape Questionnaire of patients were 122.47 (SD: 19.157; 95%CI: 12.25-124.68).Conclusion: According to the present study, the sleep quality and body shape of the patients with CHF from their body were weak. It is therefore necessary to do something in order to remove the backgrounds of sleep disorders in these patients as well as the need to more detailed investigation to determine the exact relationship of these two variables.
-Dunderdale K, Thompson DR, Miles JN, Beer SF, Furze G. Quality-of-life measurement in chronic heart failure: do we take account of the patient perspective? European journal of heart failure. 2005;7(4):572-82.
-Mohammadifard N, Nazem M, Sarrafzadegan N, Nouri F, Sajjadi F, Maghroun M, et al. Body Mass Index, Waist-circumference and Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors in Iranian Adults: Isfahan Healthy Heart Program. Journal of Health, Population, and Nutrition. 2013;31(3):388-97.
-Taylor-Piliae RE, Molassiotis A. An exploration of the relationships between uncertainty, psychological distress and type of coping strategy among Chinese men after cardiac catheterization. Journal of advanced nursing. 2001;33(1):79-88.
-Queen LM. Quality enhancement research initiative. Health services research and development services; 2002.
-Go AS, Mozaffarian D, Roger VL, Benjamin EJ, Berry JD, Borden WB, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics--2013 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2013;127(1):e6-e245.
-McKelvie RS, Moe GW, Ezekowitz JA, Heckman GA, Costigan J, Ducharme A, et al. The 2012 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Heart Failure Management Guidelines Update: Focus on Acute and Chronic Heart Failure. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2013;29(2):168-81.
-Javaheri S, Parker TJ, Liming JD, Corbett WS, Nishiyama H, Wexler L, et al. Sleep apnea in 81 ambulatory male patients with stable heart failure. Types and their prevalences, consequences, and presentations. Circulation. 1998;97(21):2154-9.
-Redeker NS. Sleep disturbance in people with heart failure: implications for self-care. The Journal of cardiovascular nursing. 2008;23(3):231-8.
-Bradley TD, Floras JS. Sleep Apnea and Heart Failure: Part II: Central Sleep Apnea. Circulation. 2003;107(13):1822-6.
- Suman-Horduna I, Roy D, Frasure-Smith N, Talajic M, Lesperance F, Blondeau L, et al. Quality of life and functional capacity in patients with atrial fibrillation and congestive heart failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;61(4):455-60..
- Randerath W, Javaheri S. Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Patients with Heart Failure. Current Sleep Medicine Reports. 2016:1-8.
-Gupta NK, Mueller WH, Chan W, Meininger JC. Is obesity associated with poor sleep quality in adolescents? American Journal of Human Biology. 2002;14(6):762-8.
- Charuzi I, Ovnat A, Peiser J, Saltz H, Weitzman S, Lavie P. The effect of surgical weight reduction on sleep quality in obesity-related sleep apnea syndrome. Surgery. 1985;97(5):535-8.
-Cooper PJ, Taylor MJ, Cooper Z, Fairbum CG. The development and validation of the body shape questionnaire. International Journal of Eating Disorders. 1987;6(4):485-94.
- Rosen JC, Jones A, Ramirez E, Waxman S. Body Shape Questionnaire: studies of validity and reliability. The International journal of eating disorders. 1996;20(3):315-9.
- Farrahi Moghaddam J, Nakhaee N, Sheibani V, Garrusi B, Amirkafi A. Reliability and validity of the Persian version of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI-P). Sleep & breathing = Schlaf & Atmung. 2012;16(1):79-82.
- Heydarnejad MS, Hassanpour DA, Solati DK. Factors affecting quality of life in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. African Health Sciences. 2011;11(2):266-70.
- Buysse DJ, Reynolds CF, 3rd, Monk TH, Berman SR, Kupfer DJ. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry research. 1989;28(2):193-213.
- Ghanbari Jolfaei A, Makvandi A, Pazouki A. Quality of sleep for hospitalized patients in Rasoul-Akram hospital. Medical journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran. 2014;28:73.
- Fateme Neyse, Mohammad Daneshmandi, Mahdi Sadeghi Sharme, Ebadi A. The effect of earplugs on sleep quality in patients with acute coronary syndrome. Iranian journal of critical care nursing. 2011;4(3):127-34.
- Freedman N, Kotzer N, Schwab R. Patient Perception of Sleep Quality and Etiology of Sleep Disruption in the Intensive Care Unit. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 1999;159(4):1155-62.
- Broström A, Strömberg A, Dahlström U, Fridlund B. Sleep Difficulties, Daytime Sleepiness, and Health-related Quality of Life in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2004;19(4):234-42.
- Hosein Abadi R, Noruzi K, Pour Esmaeili R, Karimlo M. The effect of Acupoints massage on Sleep quality in elderly. Quarterly Journal of Rehabilitation. 2008;9(2):8-14.
- Kargarnovin Z, Asadi Z, Rashidkhani B MA. Assesing Body Image and Its Relation with Body Mass Index, Food Group Consumption and Physical Activity Among the University of Economic Sciences. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2013;14(5):455-63.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).